Landlord Insurance

Landlord Insurance

Compare landlord insurance quotes from leading providers with instant cover. Quick | Easy | BRISCO

Compare Quotes

Landlord insurance (also known as buy to let insurance) is a specialist cover for property owners who rent out their homes, providing them with specialised cover from the risks associated with letting out a property. Most policies concern issues regarding the building itself and the items inside it, but providers also cover things like loss of rent, and claims for injuries or damages sustained at the property. Sometimes landlords with more than one property can also take out a portfolio policy, allowing them to safeguard multiple sites at once.

By using Brisco Business’s insurance comparison tool, we can find a policy suited to your requirements and budget in no time by comparing the UK’s leading providers.

Brisco Business can help landlords find the cover that best suits the property they rent, from contents insurance for furnished property to loss of rent insurance for when your tenants need to leave the property as a result of damage. Explore our range of covers and find the right policy to meet your needs.

Compare quotes with Brisco Business now and find a policy with covers to meet your needs.


With over 35 years’ experience comparing insurance providers and only presenting those with a minimum Standard & Poor’s “A” rating, you’re sure to find the perfect policy using our comparison tool. Don’t settle for the first landlord insurance package you find. Rely on Brisco Business to help you weed out the average from the awesome.

We partner with some of the UK’s most trusted landlord insurance providers, so that you can compare insurance quotes and choose the options that suit you best.

Brisco Business Insurance Selector

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4

Take a brisk walk to find the cover that suits your business best


Are you a property owner / landlord?

Yes No

What do you do?

Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any results for your term.

Please Contact Us and we can help you to find what you’re looking for.


Where do you mainly run your business from?

You should make sure the policy you choose meets your demands and needs during the quotation process.


Landlords who rent out properties to be lived in need residential landlord insurance. These policies can provide them with compensation for damages, theft, and relocating tenants if the building becomes uninhabitable.


Commercial landlord insurance is for those who rent to commercial premises such as shops, restaurants, offices. These properties are considered more high risk than residential ones due to the increased number of people coming and going every day.


Landlords who own buildings containing multiple dwellings, like a tower block, or a house that has been converted into flats, can take out a specialist block of flats insurance policy. This is designed to cover more than one home at a time.


Whether a landlord is away travelling or selling a property, empty buildings are at high risk of theft, vandalism and other forms of damage. Most providers will offer unoccupied property insurance, which often covers a fixed period of time.

Every landlord’s requirements are different, which is why no two landlord insurance policies are the same. Although all need property insurance to protect the building itself, commercial landlords will have different needs from residential landlords, for example.

Property Insurance

Property insurance is an all-embracing term that incorporates various kinds of policies. For instance, one of the cost common kinds under this bracket is contents insurance, which covers the costs involved if any of your building’s contents are lost, damaged or stolen. For instance, should a fire destroy a bed you supplied in a furnished property, you could use your contents insurance to claim for the cost of replacing it. 

Another typical cover included under property insurance is buildings insurance, which protects against damage to the structure itself, like if the building is flooded. This could cause issues such as sloped floors, rotting and cracks in the wall, all of which you’d want to be able to claim for. Meanwhile, glass insurance safeguards you specifically against damage to your property’s glass (namely the windows), and accidental damage insurance insures you for damage caused accidentally by you or your tenants.

Additional cover could include

As well as property insurance, another cover you might come across is alternative accommodation insurance. This pays out for alternative accommodation if your property becomes uninhabitable for some reason, meaning your tenants aren’t left stranded in an emergency and you don’t have to foot the bill for their temporary stay elsewhere. Loss of rent cover ensures you don’t lose out on rent money in such a situation. </p>

Public liability insurance protects your livelihood if you’re ever sued for accidentally injuring your tenants, like if they trip over a loose floorboard and hurt themselves. Legal expenses insurance covers the cost of your legal expenses in such a situation.

Apply Online

Complete our simple quote form with basic details about your business

Get A Quote

Compare quotes from leading insurers and select the right policy for you

You’re Insured

Instantly activate your insurance and view your documents online

What Are The Benefits Of Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance offers a number of benefits, including protection from liability, loss of rent and tenant damage. It can also really help you to sleep at night, allowing you to rest easy in the knowledge that your rental property, or properties, are completely protected. Depending on your policy, you could be covered from everything to minor damage, such as pet damage, to more malicious damage including deliberate vandalism, arson and more.

What Home Insurance Do You Need As A Landlord?

As a landlord, you need to have landlord insurance in place. This will cover you for things like liability, loss of rent and tenant damage. It’s important to check the terms and conditions of your policy to be sure, but typically, it’s a good idea to have landlord insurance in place.

What Insurances Should A Landlord Have?

Landlords should always have landlord insurance, which will cover them for things like liability, loss of rent and tenant damage. Building insurance is another useful policy to have, in addition to more specific insurance policies, such as domestic or commercial landlord insurance.

Is landlord insurance legally required?

As a landlord, you don’t technically need to have landlord insurance. However, putting together a customised policy through Brisco Business can ensure that your finances are protected under any circumstances, should the worst happen.

Can I get landlord insurance on more than one property?

Depending on the landlord insurance policy you take out, you may be able to get multiple properties insured on the same cover. However, this will not be guaranteed on all policies across the board. Luckily, Brisco Business can help you put a landlord insurance policy together to suit your needs, including helping you find insurance that covers more than one property.

What does landlord insurance cost?

The cost of landlord insurance depends on a few different aspects. For example, the more properties you have, the more your insurance will cost. While the same logic applies to their value too. What’s more, landlord insurance may cost more in certain areas where the crime levels are higher and you’re statistically more likely to make a claim.

How much landlord insurance do I need?

How much landlord insurance you require is largely determined by the value of your properties and the contents inside. For a contents insurance policy specifically, it’s recommended that you closely estimate the value of all your belongings inside, such as beds and sofas in furnished properties and fridges and curtains in unfurnished properties.

How do I make a claim on my landlord insurance?

To make a claim on your landlord insurance policy, be sure to contact your provider ASAP to receive a claim form. When filling it out, check that you’re within the time frame for making a claim and that the policy actually covers what you’re claiming for. It’s also a good idea to see how the excess is and what the insurer will deduct from the claim.

Can A Landlord Rent To A Family Member?

Yes, a landlord can rent to a family member. There are no laws prohibiting this in the UK. However, you may want to be aware that renting to a loved one or family member can often complicate the relationship. If you can trust the person to pay on-time, and consistently, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t make the perfect resident.

Is There A Difference Between Commercial And Residential Landlord Insurance?

Yes, there is a difference between commercial and residential landlord insurance. Commercial landlord insurance covers things like business interruption, loss of rent and tenant damage, while residential landlord insurance covers things like liability, loss of rent and tenant damage.

Can You Insure Against Tenants Not Paying Rent?

Yes, you can insure against tenants not paying rent with Brisco Business Insurance. We offer a range of policies that will cover you for loss of rent due to tenant default.

Do All Landlords Need Landlord Insurance?

No, not all landlords need landlord insurance. However, it is strongly recommended as it will protect you against a range of risks, including fire, flood, theft and vandalism.

What Is The Difference Between Landlord Insurance And Building Insurance?

Landlord insurance is a type of insurance that covers the landlord for any damage caused by the tenants, either deliberately or accidentally. Building insurance is a type of insurance that covers the actual structure of the property, such as the walls, floors and roof.

Do I Need Building Insurance or Landlord Insurance?

Building insurance is not the same as landlord insurance. Building insurance covers the structure of your property, while landlord insurance covers the contents of your property and your liability as a landlord. You can get both types of cover from Brisco Business Insurance.

Do I Need Home And Contents Insurance For An Investment Property?

While it isn’t a legal requirement to have home and contents insurance for an investment property. However, it is strongly recommended as it will protect your property against a range of risks, including fire, flood, theft and vandalism.

Does Landlord Insurance Cover Malicious Damage?

Yes, landlord insurance will cover you for damage caused by your tenants that is classed as ‘malicious’. This type of damage includes things like vandalism, graffiti and intentional fires.

Do You Need Tenants’ Liability Insurance?

If your tenants are domestic and not using the property for any business pruposes, then you don’t necessarily need tenants liability insurance. However, if they are using the property for business purposes, then it is a legal requirement to have this type of insurance in place.

How Can I Save Tax On My Rental Property?

There are a number of ways to save tax on your rental property, including:

  • Claiming expenses such as mortgage interest, repairs and maintenance
  • Taking advantage of tax relief schemes such as the Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance
  • Using a letting agent to manage your property

If you’re looking to legally save tax on a rental property, you’re better off talking to a specialist accountant in your area, who may be able to help you optimise your portfolio for tax purposes.

Is Building Insurance And Landlord Insurance The Same?

No, building insurance and landlord insurance are not the same. Building insurance covers the physical structure of your property, while landlord insurance covers things like liability, loss of rent and tenant damage.

You may need both types of insurance if you’re a landlord, but it’s important to check the terms and conditions of your policy to be sure.

Is Landlord Insurance Same As Home And Contents?

No, landlord insurance is not the same as home and contents insurance. Landlord insurance is a specific type of insurance that covers things like liability, loss of rent and tenant damage. Home and contents insurance, on the other hand, covers your belongings and personal possessions.

You may need both types of insurance if you’re a landlord, but it’s important to check the terms and conditions of your policy to be sure.

Is Tenants Liability Insurance Included In Contents Insurance?

No, tenants liability insurance is not included in contents insurance. Tenants liability insurance covers things like accidental damage to the property, while contents insurance covers your belongings.

What Is Landlord Rent Guarantee Insurance?

Landlord rent guarantee insurance is a type of insurance that covers the cost of the rent if the tenant fails to pay. This can be useful in situations where the tenant has fallen into arrears or has been evicted.

Is Tenant Default The Same As Rent Guarantee?

No, tenant default is not the same as rent guarantee. Tenant default means that the tenant has failed to pay rent, while rent guarantee means that the landlord will be paid even if the tenant defaults on rent.

What Is Tenants Liability Insurance?

Tenants liability insurance is a type of insurance that covers the tenant for any damage they cause to the property, either deliberately or accidentally. This can be useful in situations where the tenant has caused damage to the property through no fault of their own, such as if there was a fire or a flood.

What Is The Difference Between Landlord Insurance And Contents Insurance?

Landlord insurance is a type of insurance that covers the landlord for any damage caused by the tenants, either deliberately or accidentally. Contents insurance is a type of insurance that covers the belongings of the tenant, such as furniture, clothing and electronics. It does not cover the actual structure of the property itself.

Is It Worth Getting Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance is not a legal requirement, but it is something you may want to consider if you’re a tenant or a landlord. Contents insurance will cover your belongings in the event of damage, theft or fire.

As a landlord, you may also want to consider taking out buildings insurance to cover the physical structure of your property.

Our Reviews

Property Owners Insurance Start A New Property Owners Quote Retrieve A Quote